At Jericho Beach Kayak our goal is to inspire deeper connections to the great outdoors and one-another.
Being a kayaking instructor is a hugely rewarding and fun occupation. If you have a passion for paddling, an interest in developing your skills, and most importantly a desire to share the sport with others, we would love to talk to you about joining our team!
Jericho Beach Kayak Instructors and Guides are responsible for ensuring our clients and customers have amazing experiences on our summer camps, lessons, and tours. As a part of the team you will have an integral role in delivering hundreds of programs at our Jericho Beach waterfront location, on the water, beach and in the classroom.
Most of your work time is spent running our summer camps (July and August), as well as guiding 2-3 h kayaking tours (small groups as well as larger corporate or school groups), and teaching kayaking lessons. You are responsible for keeping clients safe and for providing an enjoyable and memorable experience that meets or exceeds the participant’s expectations.
• Ensuring clients have an enjoyable, safe and positive experience in our lessons and tours.
• Leading programs according to Jericho Beach Kayak and Paddle Canada outlines, and risk management policies.
• Preparing and cleaning up equipment used in lessons and tours, including communicating any deficiencies to rental managers. This includes lifting and moving kayaks and associated gear.
• Ensuring all required reporting and paperwork is completed.
• Communicating availability to work and any changes to this throughout the year
• Advising participants of other Jericho Beach Kayak products, such as equipment, further lessons or rental options
• Attending mandatory training sessions and skill development opportunities
• Reviewing and revising course outlines and program descriptions
• Keeping required certifications up to date
• Working with an excellent team of paddling and outdoor enthusiasts
• Advancing your paddling and program delivery skills with some of Vancouver’s best paddlers through workshops, courses, training and mentoring
• Access to kayaks and equipment for personal use
• Staff paddling trips, socials and other events
• Discounted gear through Employee Purchase Program
• Outdoor work in some of the best waterfront locations in Vancouver
• Flexible Hours
Job Type: Part Time
Required Education, Skills or Certification
• Ability to lift 75+ lbs.
• Strong decision-making and leadership skills.
• Passion and experience in kayaking and the outdoor industry
• Experience teaching or leading programs, courses or tours, especially outside
• Excellent in-person communication skills; performance or public speaking experience an asset
• Previous teaching or guiding experience or a degree or diploma in Tourism, Outdoor Recreation or Education is an asset
• Love working with people and being outside; ability to speak languages other than English an asset
• Have or willing to obtain a minimum:
o Paddle Canada Basic Sea Kayak Instructor certification or
o SKGABC Level 1 Guide certification and
o First Aid and CPR training, as required by instructor/guiding certification
(opportunities to achieve some certifications are available through Jericho Beach Kayak each spring)
Requirements for Becoming a Jericho Beach Kayak Instructor:
There are many important steps to becoming a Paddle Canada certified Instructor. Please consider this process carefully before beginning as it involves a serious commitment of time and resources.
1. Skills: Ideally, you will have 10 overnight tripping days. As a minimum, you will need to have solid Paddle Canada Level One Skills (can be obtained through JBK).
2. First aid certification – Participation in a Standard First Aid program (14-16 hrs) with CPR-C is required to become a Basic Kayak Instructor. A wilderness based first aid course is recommended for Level One Instructors.
3. Paddle Canada Instructor Certification – Please see program dates for our Instructor lessons on our website.
How to Apply
Please submit your application through our website: https://jerichobeachkayak.com/about-us/jobs/
Jericho Beach Kayak
1300 Discovery Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
Jericho Beach Kayak Centre is conveniently located right at beautiful Jericho Beach in Vancouver within the Jericho Sailing Centre.
We are proud to build on the 39 years history of Ecomarine and to continue the tradition of being one of the top paddling schools and kayak rental locations. Our sister kayak location is Deep Cove Kayak on the North Shore.
We employ a team of about 30-35 Paddle Canada certified Instructors and SKGABC Guides every season. Many are part time instructors with a core group of staff work full time.