Update (March 2, 2015): Please note that the deadline has now passed and we are no longer accepting applications for advanced standing except for exceptional circumstances.
Since the announcement of the new kayak rolling certification back in the spring, Paddle Canada has received several requests from instructor members asking for advanced standing due to their extensive rolling instruction experience. In response to the high volume of requests, we have formalized an application process for gaining advanced standing. This opportunity is open to any kayak instructor (both River and Sea Kayak) with prior rolling instruction experience.
Before applying, the following requirements must be met. The instructor candidate must:
- Be a member in good standing with Paddle Canada
- Have a minimum of Basic Kayak Instructor certification
- Have extensive experience teaching rolling clinics
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Have the ability to roll a kayak confidently (It is strongly recommended that instructor candidates are able to roll confidently on both sides)
- And have current certification in Standard First Aid with CPR (14-16 hours)
To apply, please send an email with the following items included:
- Your contact information and Paddle Canada membership number
- Your paddling resume with a focus on rolling & instructing rolling
- A minimum of two (2) references from instructors or students you have worked with
- A sample course outline how you conduct a typical two hour rolling clinic
- A sample rolling teaching progression outline with troubleshooting suggestions on common problems
Those who apply will not automatically receive the certification. The Sea Kayak Program Development Committee will evaluate your application and make a decision based upon several factors including your prior rolling instruction experience, your references, and the quality of your application.
Please note that while applications can now be submitted, the Sea Kayak Program Development Committee is on hiatus until later in September and they will start making decisions shortly after they recommence.
The deadline for all advanced standing applications is February 28, 2015.