Renaming of Intro Levels
The Stand-Up Paddleboard, River Kayak and Sea Kayak Program Development Committees wanted to inform you of an important change we made to the SUP, river and sea kayak programs. After some considerable discussion and market research, the Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboarding and Introduction to Kayaking levels has been renamed Basic Stand Up Paddleboarding and Basic Kayak respectively.
Normally we don’t announce major program changes for the next season until after January 1, but we wanted to make you aware of this change early to give you a chance to update your websites or print marketing campaigns.
The change also affects the instructor and instructor trainer streams. Here is the complete list of programs that are affected:
- Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboarding Skills > Basic Stand Up Paddleboarding
- Introduction to Stand Up Paddleboarding Instructor > Basic Stand Up Paddleboarding Instructor
- Flatwater Stand Up Paddleboarding Instructor Trainer is unchanged
- Introduction to Kayaking > Basic Kayak
- Introduction to Kayaking Instructor > Basic Kayak Instructor
- Introduction to Kayaking Instructor Trainer > Basic Kayak Instructor Trainer
There were various reasons for the change, including the need to standardise the Paddle Canada programs where appropriate. Now, the entry-level award for all paddling disciplines within Paddle Canada – canoe, river kayak, sea kayak and SUP – carry the “Basic” name. “Basic” is accurate, simple, and easy for the public to understand.
The change comes into effect on January 1, 2014 and we will be updating our database in early 2014 in time for the upcoming paddling season.
Revamped Program Manuals
We are also excited to announce that Paddle Canada has hired an editor to clean-up and polish the SUP and Sea Kayak Program Manuals. As in other years, we will be releasing the latest version with any program adjustments in early January but look for a completely revamped look to the manual in in late winter 2014.