Location: Red Deer River, Alberta. Photo credit: Priscilla Haskin
The Intermediate River Kayak Instructor course is designed to provide a national certification in the instruction and administration of the Intermediate River Kayaking Program.
The Intermediate River Kayaking Instructor is certified to conduct Paddle Canada up to Intermediate River Kayak skills courses and to certify paddlers at that level.
The Intermediate River Kayak instructor is certified to teach paddlers river kayaking on rivers up to and including Class II.
Find a School
Search for a River Kayaking Course
Find a River Kayaking Instructor
- At least 18 years of age.
- Paddle Canada Advanced River Kayaking skills certification.
- Teaching Experience
- Paddle Canada Beginner River Kayak Instructor, having taught at least two (2) Beginner River Kayak courses at least three (3) months apart.
- Safety Training
- Swift Water Rescue training is highly recommended.
- Rolling Ability
- The demonstrated ability to consistently roll a kayak in a Class 1 water on one side.
How to Register for an Instructor Course
- Contact the course director/organization and register with them first.
- Register yourself as an instructor candidate member with Paddle Canada by following these steps:
- Are you existing Paddle Canada member or a past skill course student? Login to your account and follow the instructor candidate link there.
- Are you brand new to Paddle Canada? Proceed to the Instructor Candidate membership form.
The Small Print
The content on this page is provided for information only and could be incorrect or outdated. The course program manual is the official syllabus.
If you have any specific syllabus questions, please get in touch with the
River Kayak Program Committee who is responsible for the development and maintaince of this course.