Location: Bonaventure River, Quebec. Photo credit: Felix Serre
The Advanced program is designed to take those keen whitewater paddlers to the next level. Students will hone their skills and strengthen their understanding of the language of the river.
Students will further develop skills to descend and cross currents, capture micro eddies and run complex class III rapids.
New maneuvers like side and back surfing will strengthen stability skills and build one’s confidence. All together the course maximizes the fun on the river.
Find a School
Search for a Canoeing Course
Find a Canoeing Instructor
- Advanced river features/hazards (class III)
- Advanced rescue systems and courses
- When to portage
- Active paddle blade
- Navigating advanced river features
- Blending strokes
- Review and refine intermediate strokes
- Stroke blending
- High brace
- Boof stroke
- Launching and landing in circulating eddies
- Back ferry
- Wave blocking
- Crossing the grain
- Side surfing holes (class II)
- Back surfing (class II)
- Navigating advanced water features
- Crossing the grain with speed (complex)
- Wave interference patterns
- Navigating differential currents
- Finding the dry line
- Scouting from the canoe
- Class III river anatomy
- Water reading - gradient patterns
- Advanced canoe design
- Intermediate Solo Moving Water or with permission of the instructor, based on proof of prior learning of equivalent skill and knowledge.
The Small Print
The content on this page is provided for information only and could be incorrect or outdated. The course program manual is the official syllabus.
If you have any specific syllabus questions, please get in touch with the
Canoe Program Committee who is responsible for the development and maintaince of this course.