Application and Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for the Bill Mason Memorial Scholarship, applicants must be:
- A Canadian Citizen
- Enrolled full-time at a Canadian University or College
- Enrolled in undergraduate studies, second (2nd) year or higher standing
- Enrolled in an Outdoor Recreation, Education or Environmental Studies or other related programs
- Have an academic standing of B+ (75%) or higher
- Background in paddling
Applications open: May 1, 2022
Applications close: September 30, 2022
This is your opportunity to briefly introduce yourself to the selection committee. Please keep your cover letter to 250 words.
Confirmation of Eligibility
Make sure you provide:
- a copy of your birth certificate, Canadian passport, or another equivalent document,
- the full name and address of the college or university in which you are enrolled
- confirmation of enrolment letter or related document,
- the name of your program or discipline of study,
- the name, address, and telephone number of your department head,
- your current academic year standing and,
- an official copy of your most recent transcript.
Confirmation of Academic Course Content
Provide a list and brief description of courses that emphasize environmental awareness and/or outdoor education. Do not send the program of study brochures; report only on those courses in which you are enrolled for the current academic year.
Affirmation of Career Objectives
- Outline any past involvement and leadership within the fields of environmental education, outdoor education or, outdoor recreation.
- Describe your future job, plans, and/or goals for continuing your involvement with environmental stewardship.
Personal Environment & Educational Philosophy, and Knowledge of the late Bill Mason
Within 250 words please provide a statement of your philosophy regarding your beliefs with reference to the environment, to outdoor education, or outdoor recreation, and to how your philosophy pertains to the ethics of land and water AND, how your philosophy reflects the life and work of Bill Mason.
Demonstrated Need for Financial Assistance
Provide a budget, outlining both expenses, anticipated revenues, and financial shortcomings for the current academic year.
Background in Paddling
Provide a résumé of your paddling experience, involvement in organized paddling and paddling instruction, if any.
Bill Mason Memorial Scholarship Fund
c/o Paddle Canada | Pagaie Canada
PO Box 126 Station Main
Kingston, Ontario, K7L 4V6
On behalf of the Scholarship Committee, Paddle Canada would also like to extend our sincerest thanks to the many individuals whose generous donations have contributed to the stewardship dream of Bill Mason.